Carth Dieter Apr 18, 2014 23:03:48 GMT -5
Post by SiofraTural on Apr 18, 2014 23:03:48 GMT -5
Color Font: mediumseagreen
Physical Reference Sheet: Carth Reference Sheet 2015
Theme: "My Demons" by Starset
Current Roleplay: The Outcasts' Requiem
Name Meaning:Relationships: A growing admiration for Astella Fantomfeing
- Carth is based off the name Carthage, which was an ancient city in Africa founded by the Phoenicians. Some places online say it could mean "Loving/Admirable". Carth's whole name is Carthage Ebbe Dieter.
- Dieter (DEE-ter) means "Warrior of the People"
- Ebbe (E-buh) means "Wild Boar"
Birthday: June 25
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Height: 6' 3.5" (1.92 meters)
- Beast Form Height: 8' (2.44 meters)
Blood Type: O
Race: Muka (more information here)
- Orphaned at age 4
- Mother was a brothel whore along the northwestern seaports. Gave Carth to a local orphanage when he was four after a client saw Carth's eyes and caused a huge stir in the brothel.
- Father is supposedly Everard the Unseen, a dastardly pirate of the northwestern seas who attacks noble ships and treats women with violent disrespect. His pirate vessel and crew are infamous for attacking ships along a popular trade route between the mainland and larger islands off the coast. The attacks usually take place within an area with towering rock formations that are very wide apart to allow multiple ships to pass through side by side. Everard earns his nickname by attacking ships when a heavy mist moves in and severely dims line of sight. Lucky survivors claim that the reason the pirate vessel can find trade ships so easily in the mist is because Everard somehow uses the cliffs to his advantage. Others say that he most likely has a magical item in his possession since his kind can't use magic. Others report of something swimming beneath the boat moments before Everard's ships appear.
- Grew up with someone he considered his sister, but she died from an attack dog when Carth was twelve.
- Carth is a very caring individual who seems to look out for others more then himself. Growing up in an orphanage for most of his childhood taught him respect and discipline, but he still remains a cheeky boy who would rather have fun and do death defying, stupid stunts then continuously remained poised and proper with anything outside of business. He is quick to adapt to most societies and surroundings since traveling has become his passion and way of life, and although his education wasn’t the best, he is pretty sharp at learning and is a very excellent reader thanks to a childhood friend who had lived outside the orphanage. He values companionship above anything else and will offer a helping hand to those who are honestly in need of aid; strengthening his urge to help others at least long enough to where he can feel reassured that they will survive at least another day. Carth tends to seek out the company of others willingly and subconsciously, speaking a little too much to those who allow him their ear, and if he really gets to know you, he’ll talk your ear off. Carth is also a very positive and optimistic man, constantly trying to find some sort of happy ending to any disaster in his life, always wearing a smile on his face to bring others at ease to the best of his ability.
The positivity backfires a bit though when it comes to Carth’s personal mentality and health since he is always looking out for others to keep their chins up and smiling, since it does keep him happy as well. However, he bottles up all of his emotions to where he will become a bit tense during certain situations where he is normally cool and chill, and sometimes he is caught grinding his teeth so roughly that his jaw and teeth hurt too much to chew. Whenever he feels as if these negative emotions are going to flow over, he prefers to speak to something that is either non-human or non-sentient since he knows that non-intelligent animals won't judge him and other beings are not human so they might have an idea of what segregation might be like, or so he thinks. If he does seem to go rather deep in spilling his troubles out to someone, it is because he trusts or likes them enough to tell his secrets. He has an old fear, dulled down with age, that prevents him from seeking any romantic companionship. He is afraid that once he forms this bond, the person may eventually leave him to forget about him and never return. This doesn’t stop him from his fascination over women though, as he meets them for such a short time he’s learned to not allow his emotions to reach the point of falling for them. Occasionally the dam of emotion overflows when he feels he is falling for them, but as soon as the flow is done, the dam’s walls are risen.
Women are his weak point, and because of being in an orphanage run by women, females have almost total power over him. His flirtatious nature usually gets him into trouble, and when scolded by a woman, he’ll tuck his head in and apologize. If a man were to scold or belittle him, he would either challenge them, grow tense, or do his damnedest to walk away without breaking the man’s jaw in. He is also more willing to do what a woman wants (spending on the circumstance) then he is with being ordered around by another male, especially one who is targeting him out of racial discrimination. Being the type of shapeshifter he is, he is quick to anger when it comes to someone else being in danger, or being picked on, but other then that he is incredibly laid back and most other matters roll over his shoulder and are brushed aside. If a certain woman starts to catch his attention and he becomes infatuated, he’s a bit of a stumbling, stuttering mess from trying his hardest to not sound too shy or “uncool” around them, which sometimes leads to him dropping the topic, apologizing, and scurrying off to avoid the overwhelming embarrassment. Traveling has allowed him to become a lot better about it, being the smooth, cool mysterious guy of the north to women further south who don’t know what he is and can better hold a flirtatious conversation before he pardons himself to leave. He never takes advantage of a woman under any circumstance and will just treat them to what they need and saving them from embarrassment if someone else were to find them. Thus far, no other woman has really peaked his interest since he had fallen so far into a meet and greet routine, but once he bonds with someone with either friendship or love, his loyalty is unmatched and his devotion is strong.
Other then the love of flirting with women, the thing that has captured his heart is sleep. Carth sleeps like a rock. The only real way to wake him is to induce him to a falling sensation such as dropping him or pushing him out of bed. Someone could shake him and kick him hard in the back, and a large majority of the time, he’ll sleep right through it unless he is tense or stressed right before sleeping. He has his body trained to wake up with the rising sun or before it because of his job, but once he sleeps in a soft, comfortable bed, and feels safe, he’ll sleep an entire day and then some.
- Compared to most Muka children, Carth’s was pretty fair and justifiable in regards to treatment. During what was dubbed the “Human Movement” about twenty years ago in the area of the Northwestern coast of the Northern Ocean, social activists believed that if they took a Muka child and raised it under human care the child will grow up to be as smart and wise as a human, and beat out any thought of violence or rebellion straight out of the child. Carth was born to a whore who worked at a popular trading port along the sea. His mother had him in her room with the help of other prostitutes since they all lived in one building out back behind the brothel. A year beforehand, the brothel was one of many places targeted by invading pirates of both man and Kakeors. Women were either captured, beaten to death, or raped in their rooms, and during the chaos, Everard, not quite the captain of his own ship, found Carth’s mother, Cassandra, then a virgin, and forced her into a room. When women are known to have been raped by Kakeors, they are rejected by society for being seen as unclean and carrying demon spawn. In some places, women are buried up to their necks and stoned to death, hung at the gallows, or beheaded with their bodies soon burned afterward. Carth’s mother was visually spared from a brutal beating, which is unknown why, and used a customer she was scheduled to tend to as a scapegoat.
When Carth was born and the women in the room noticed his eyes, he was almost killed when a whore volunteered to drown him before the mother stopped her. Three other whores also had Muka children, so the sisterhood decided to keep Carth and the other children a secret, or they would all risk being killed. Carth lived in the whorehouse for four years until one day, Carth somehow ventured into the brothel where a customer saw Carth’s eyes and caused a loud disturbance. Luckily, women running an orphanage a few towns away had come to the seaport during the beginning of the Human Movement, as they had targeted the town because of the raid in the past. The three other children had disappeared with their mothers, so the orphanage took Carth in after no woman claimed him as their own. The orphanage was located more inland alongside a massive lake, and there Carth lived until he was twelve years old.
During his time in the orphanage, he was taught the basics of reading and math, strictly taught discipline, and to respect all women. His punishments were a bit more strict compared to the other kids because of what he was, since the women wanted to make sure that he would grow to be obedient and not violent like his kind is. The first year there, Carth was completely mute because of the fear, chaos, and difference. He was also abnormally clingy, constantly clinging to the adults and refusing to let go of them if they would put him down or put him to bed. As a racial joke, they gave him a stuffed piglet to hold onto, and surprisingly the child loved it and refused to let go of it, carrying it anywhere he went. When he was five, he sat outside in the play yard by himself, since he was on time out for biting a boy's arm after the boy started to pull on Carth's hair. This is where he met a girl named Awiti, three years older then him, and littered with spots. She saw Carth sitting by himself and climbed over the fence, since the area was mostly hidden with trees and bushes. She was the first one to get Carth to speak again since his arrival at the orphanage. It took a few days of her going over and talking to him, since she was a very talkative child who lived with gypsy parents who seemed to barely know of her existence, and Carth would try to always meet her by the corner of the fence every day for playtime. Eventually the women at the orphanage found out about this and shooed away Awiti, but after a second thought hey would allow her into the orphanage to play with Carth since he was so much more active, talkative, and happy.
Even though Carth was receiving a decent education along with the rest of the children there, there was always that border that seemed to continuously separate him from other humans. It came to a point where it would be like a type of game between orphanages or families that housed Muka children (there were twenty children adopted in the beginning of the movement from newborns to six year olds) on who had the smartest and most well behaved child. It was like a dog show competition on whose pet was the best, and as Carth grew older, caught onto this. When Carth was twelve years old, he decided to try and run away with Awiti to try living on their own, hopeful children hoping to live a better life since it seemed pretty easy when they would go out fishing occasionally. However, Carth suddenly came down with a strange illness that rattled his body in pain one day, complaining about chest pains that were so bad he started to throw up. Thinking he was dying, the children decided to break into a medicine shop to grab anything that would help him. Unknowing to them, the shop owner had a massive guard dog in there and it attacked the children, severely wounding Awiti and causing Carth to black out.
When he came to, he found out his friend, who he considered his sister, had died, and Carth was put on trial for thievery and killing the shop owner’s dog, to which he never remembered doing. As the court decided, they placed the young boy in a jail cell out of fear. It turned out that once Muka boys reached the age of twelve, they would go through a type of forced transformation out of presumably nowhere. Apparently this had happened to Carth, to which he couldn’t remember, and as the jury of the town decided, they sentenced him to death the next day. During the dead of night, Carth was woken and taken out of his jail cell into an awaiting carriage outside. Inside were three of the women from the orphanage who had loved Carth as one of their own, and to save him, hey took him on a two day ride out of town to a small town along the coast. There he was given to one of the women’s brothers, a tall, strong blacksmith whose wife was a butcher. After a long, heated argument, the blacksmith agreed to keep Carth to use as a helper and servant. The women of the orphanage then left, and Carth’s life began once again.
When he was fifteen, Carth was told to go into town to fetch a few small, but costly, supplies. In town a ship carrying live cargo had pulled into port, unloading strong black stallions, mares, and small foals. One foal was a bit sickly looking, but it had caught Carth’s attention when he walked over to see the horses. The small animal would follow him along the fence wherever he went, running when he did and pushing through the other foals to keep up with him. When Carth returned to the smith shop, the blacksmith as furious Carth had spent his money on a small foal. After trying to fight off a rough beating, Carth managed to persuade the man to keep the small foal as the boy volunteered to always take are of it and grow it up to be a strong workhorse (their old workhorse had died of old age). He named the stallion Agrippa, and the two formed a close bond, since Carth finally had someone to talk to who wouldn’t talk back to him or judge him. When Carth was 19 and the young stallion had been broken in, Carth left home in search of a life elsewhere. Eventually he found a job as an odd job courier would would have to ride anywhere the packages took him. Desperate to get any type of income, Carth took jobs that no one else would take, since they were usually illegal packages or letters. One job took him to a large, mountainous island up north that was popular in trading silks and dyes. During his delivery, he ran into a cocky town guard, Jalal, who quickly targeted the courier and chased him across town. As Carth was climbing a cliff ledge in order to get to the street up above, Jalal shot an arrow that hit Carth under his left arm. Carth fell, slamming into the ledge of a street before before plummeting a sheer drop fifty feet into the ocean. Carth managed to get away, and while he was floating out at sea, a passing fishing boat lifted him on board and pulled the arrow out of his side. The arrow had pierced and broken a rib, and if the arrow had hit him a little higher or harder, it would have went straight into his heart. Part of the arrow had to be left in him since it was so wedged in there, and because the men could barely hold Carth down as he was screaming in pain. To Carth’s shock, the men were indifferent to him and allowed him to go free after they pulled into port and had a doctor mend his wound. Another dangerous encounter is when Carth was on a trading ship to one of the islands up north when it was attacked by Kakeors pirates and sunk. Carth managed to get to shore along a wide passage the ship was passing through, suffering only a few burns.
Although the job nearly killed him and the tension of always getting caught by people who hated his kind, the thrill of it all kept Carth in the job field until a more recent package that brought him to the oasis city of Maza in the center of the great desert. There he met and saved a magical herbalist named Astella who lived in a temple on the outskirts of the city. Carth was shocked to see she also had a talking dragon, and adorable one named Jun, since she was the first talking dragon he had ever seen. Carth was allowed to stay at the temple until he could deliver his package, but Carth had misplaced it when saving Astella from men who were trying to drown her in an alleyway. What was inside the package had come to life and reaped havoc on the oasis city, taking dozens of lives. Carth was also under Astella’s care as he was overcome with pneumonia from traveling during the monsoon season, and during that time, Carth started to better know and grow fond of Astella, but is now struggling with his own thoughts about not wanting to get too close to her, not wanting her to be ridiculed for being seen with a Muka. However after a dark turn of events, Carth now travels with Astella for a new chapter in his life, and fate only knows where it will take them, or what will lie ahead.
- Shapeshifting - When under a lot of stress or through willpower, Carth can shift into a large, eight foot tall beast with an enormous head, neck, and shoulders and teeth/jaws that could slice through a crocodile in one fell swoop. Carth rarely has taken this form, and when he has, it was something he couldn’t control. Throughout his life he has shifted three times, and all times he couldn’t recall all that well since everything happened so fast. There is one huge danger about turning into this beastly form, as when he does, Carth becomes a full fledged berserker. He will attack both friend and foe, but he will tend to go for the ones that were initially causing him pain. It is incredibly hard to calm him down, or even get close enough to attempt to soothe the beast, because if anyone gets too close they will risk losing a limb. There is a way for Carth to speak in this form, but because he hasn't shifted enough he has no idea how to properly form words with the awkward length of his mouth. He does know how to sign the letters of the alphabet and a few other basic signs which is one way he is able to communicate. It was something his friend taught him since her aunt was deaf, and so that the two could talk secretly without anyone knowing what they were saying. More information about Muka and Morofor shifting located HERE.
- Tapetum Lucidum - Also known as eyeshine, tapetum lucidum is a layer of tissue common in the eyes of many vertebrae animals that allows them to see much better in the dark; perfect for night traveling. This gives off the look that Carth's pupils are very reflective under certain dim light conditions.
- Sonic Roar - A trait all Kakeors share, Carth can summon up the aura inside of him to turn his sonic, ear bursting roars, into powerful torrents of wind that can knock over buildings or reshape landscapes. The stronger Kakeors become, the stronger their roars. If an individual is standing too close to a Kakeors when he roars, their heads would explode from the powerful sound that is amplified by the aura. This is why when battling Kakeors along the coast, fighters attack from behind and immediately try their best to tie the beast's mouth shut before it can attack. It is impossible to open a Kakeors' mouth when it is closed, but if held closed the Kakeors can barely open them since their jaws are build more for chomping down. At the current moment, Carth's attack is rather weak since he has not changed enough nor has he strengthened his vocal cords. Roaring too much causes his throat to become too raw and potentially bleed if he continues. However if someone were to stand right in front of his face and he gave off a powerful roar, the enemy's brain would burst from the sonic sound alone. To tell if Kakeors are going to use their sonic roar compared to a normal roar, they inhale deeply for a few seconds and their posture straightens to better allow them to hold in air, and their ears go completely flat against the head.
Beast Form and Size comparison (with Astella)
- Sleeping – He doesn’t get enough time to rest, but when he does he’s out like a light for hours. A simple nap could go on for as long as a normal rest would be. Main problem is, he sleeps like a rock. You could kick him in the back while he’s sleeping and he wouldn’t so much as twitch. The number one way to wake him up is to make him feel like he’s falling (like a falling dream).
- Women – Loves them and can’t get enough of them. He is quite the flirt for some, but he doesn’t really go as far as a kiss on the hand or cheek since his line of work, and society, prevents most relationships from forming. He’s a little sexist over certain matters since he grew up in a more male dominated area as a kid, but overall he holds a high respect towards the female gender and treats them with the respect that they deserve.
- Scalp Rubs – Carth has a rather sensitive scalp. His thick hair is always in a wild, untamed mess but a simple pass of his fingers rights his hair in place, usually with him brushing it back and making his natural cowlick stand up a bit more in the front. He use to have longer hair when he was younger before cutting it for the jobs he had, but he highly enjoys it when others play with his hair. Scalp messages are the best way to calm him down and keep him at ease, especially if he is tired and distressed since it causes him to think irrationally. If tired and calm enough, playing with his hair and messaging his scalp will put him to sleep (this is ill advised if Carth is standing, lol). In his beast form, if his scalp is rubbed and messaged, he will make a very loud, deep, vibrating sound and has an odd habit of twitching his right leg. For humor, if his chin and scalp is both rubbed and he's sitting, he will start twitching his leg like a dog and will start licking the air (or your face) until you stop, completely paralyzed by the pleasant feeling. Carth only allows those he likes or cares about touch him, so if a complete stranger tries to rub his head he'll either shove you away or (if male) knock your teeth out. He also sticks out his upper lip like a horse in his beast form, and one must be careful if he tries to groom you in return for scratching his good spot. Sharp teeth plus soft skin equals ouch!
- Cuisine – As a courier his job has taken him to many places along the coast and to the large islands offshore, and since he’s had to stay within some of them for quite a long period of time, he’s learned to not be picky about the certain foods offered to him. So he eats just about anything (save for things that are so slimy they make him gag). The only things he can’t eat are anything that has real coconut in it. The stuff gives him a really bad case of the hives.
- Candies and Sweets – Carth probably has the biggest sweet tooth anyone has ever seen. Chocolate is his weakness, and if he finds a candy he highly enjoys from a certain country or town, it’s always a good idea to use the sweet as a bargaining chip to make him do certain tasks (that aren’t too extreme, mind you).
- Freestyle Dancing – He absolutely loves freestyle dancing and prefers to go to late night festivities in certain popular areas just to let off some stress from an eventful day. Dancing is one of his favorite pastimes, but he prefers to free style than actual dancing.
- Parkour – Grew up with it since the shipping town he lived in was very packed together and moved up the sides of very steep hills. Easiest way to get from the top to the bottom and vice versa was via traveling by rooftop, so after many years of doing this, he became a bit of an expert in his eyes. It’s illegal in some places, but if he’s in a rush to deliver something he doesn’t mind breaking a few rules. Besides, he’s fairly good at throwing off any pursuers when it comes to his element. He’s pretty much outgrown any fear of heights, and is a total thrill junkie.
- Suits and Formalwear - Carth loooooves dressing up, believe it or not from seeing him constantly wearing the same outfit day after day. He's never had much, and if he does get something, it's soon gone or used up. He has never had enough money to buy some fancier clothes or really good quality armor, but he does like to window shop while he's out and about. If you really want him to like you, give him a gift of fine clothing that you bought or even made yourself. He finally had enough money to buy himself a protective armored suit made from sand serpent leather and scales, and a beautiful new cape made of fine, black sand serpent skin sewn by Astella (it also came with a gold clasp she designed after his self made logo). If he has to dress up fancy for something, he won't think twice about saying yes.
- Cats - Loves them and can't get enough of them. <3
- Coconut – Or really anything that has real coconut in it. Gives him really bad hives when he ingests it. He can physically touch it, but when it gets to his lips and tongue, the side effects surface pretty quickly.
- Needles – He turns pale and weak at the knees. He’s never fainted at the sight of one before, but he gets pretty dang close. He doesn’t panic and try to swat them away, but the mere sight of it gets him so weak in the knees after a minute he has to sit down if he keeps looking and/or thinking about it. Even during a conversation involving needles, he hands become clammy and his face drains of color. Medical needles are pretty much the number one thing to get him to act like this.
- The Cold – since he has a higher body temperature he prefers to enjoy warmer areas and will tolerate mild weather. However, even though his body is warm, he utterly hates the cold, and snow. Dreads it. He likes to see it when going to colder regions, but that’s about all he likes about snow. When going into colder regions (mostly to islands further north) he dresses up more than most because he values warmth above anything. So if you want to find Carth in a cold region, just look for the guy walking around with tons of jackets and furs on while complaining bitterly under his breath.
- Staring – This could also be about people who comment about his eyes. Although a lovely yet strange green color, he is highly sensitive of strangers commenting about them. Some compliments by certain ones he meets is alright to an extent, but he prefers that no one mentions them. He looks completely human save for his eyes, which are a huge giveaway, and from where he originated from in the Northwestern sea ports at the edges of the Maza desert anyone who has eyes like him is hated and rejected from nearly everywhere. So if someone were to ask him right off the bat, "Why are the whites of your eyes green?" it's pretty much an insult to him and he will react accordingly depending on your age, the way you said it, or even by the way you act. The more he hangs around someone who either looks into his eyes with care or never questions the anomaly will make him feel much more at ease and will eventually tell the person what he is, depending on the situation and how much he really trusts that person.
- Lack of Sleep – This guy can barely function if he doesn't get enough. He may go to bed early and be very early to rise, but if he doesn't get enough sleep, or is too tired, he acts negatively in a variety of ways. Carth naturally worries but doesn't become a nag about it. However, when he's really sick and/or tired, he becomes an extreme worrier, often running his mouth of all the problems he's having and barely reacting to situations that are pretty important. He's also known to fight sleep when he's feeling incredibly stressed, which is a terrible problem because he is known to black out while standing. Carth is mature (in a sense) when he is like this, but everything is greatly over-exaggerated and put out of proportion. The best way to help him go back to sleep would either be cuddling or put him in a very calm, safe state of mind or atmosphere. Singing Dreams are huge antagonists to Carth's sleeping problem because sometimes these dreams continue on for a few days rather then just one; once a Muka or Morofor falls asleep after the first singing dream during these longer periods, they will become trapped in it again. When an individual wakes up after a singing dream, they are in a fearful panic that can vary in intensity. It is impossible to block these dreams, as many have tried, so giving Carth a sense of safety will encourage him to go back to sleep since he knows that someone won't let him wander away or allow him to wake up terrified and alone.
- Big Dogs - After getting attacked by a large guard dog when he was a kid, Carth is very nervous when around large dogs whether it's mean or friendly. If one is in his path, he'll take a noticeably large detour to go around it. If he's forced to interact with someone's dog he usually responds by keeping himself very stiff while trying to avoid touching the dog as much as possible. He might give it a pat out of courtesy, but he's still incredibly nervous. He occasionally gives the excuse that he is allergic to dogs just so he doesn't have to interact with them. Smaller dogs he's a bit better around, but he has to fight off the urge to kick one straight into the sun.
- Athazagoraphobia - The fear of being forgotten, ignored, or abandoned. Carth tries his best to not let it affect him, but sometimes his mind screams to the point where holding all of this in does his mind no good. His case is a bit more mild, but the internal struggle is still real. Carth’ll act all nice and humble upon first meeting him, and will get to know you a bit, but he fights to avoid any type of concrete bonding since he knows that, because of what he is and his job, he’ll never be able to keep in contact with someone. The fear first developed as a child when he was taken from his mother (who willingly gave him up), but the fear was strengthened after a tragic event that happened when he was 12. Time and maturity has helped him recover, somewhat, but the fear has grown to the point where he will unknowingly cut himself off from any bond in a spark of panic once he realizes he's getting too close. He wants companionship, he wants someone to talk to, he wants someone to love, but the fear prevents him from doing any of that. It conflicts a lot with his true personality (acting all warm upon first meeting him then shying away once he feels things are getting too close). He can eventually overcome this, but not on his own.
- Has a tattoo on his left pectoral of a charging boar (gotta get my butt on designing it sometime soon, lol)
- Carth has two noticeable scars. One is underneath his left arm with part of an arrowhead still stuck in his rib, and one on his back that he likes to say was from a close call with a lance, or another arrow, or a shot of magic, when in actuality it was caused by when he fell from a roof as a child while learning parkour with his sister, and fell on a rock. It's slightly embarrassing for him since he fell off the shed roof after getting startled by a bee that flew in his face.
Added scars and wounds:
-- Four deep claw marks that start from his right shoulder and across his pectorals, and since it was a mark caused by a demon, the scar wasn't able to be healed properly. Received it while fighting the pale gluttony demon, Yezmen, inside of a burning temple in Maza
- Carth grew up with some rather crude step parents who cussed and swore a lot, so Carth has a bit of a dirty mouth, especially when he's angry. He also slips into cussing and swearing when he feels a little more comfortable, but when he finally notices how much he is cussing or someone points it out to him, he'll be a lot more careful with what he says.
- Carth is a very excellent swimmer and can hold his breath underwater for quite a long time. He can also see quite clearly underwater using a trick he was taught about as a child. When a person submerges in water, their pupils dilate since there is less light, causing vision to become blurred. Many people in towns and villages by the ocean have learned to contract the pupil to be as small as possible, increasing sight clarity underwater. More neat info about it here on this YouTube link about the Moken children.